Another game jam! After participating in the MeatlyJam in 2015, I recently created an itch.io account so I could enter the CoronaDefold Jam. I detailed the development process of Asteroid Blaster in the game devlog, which you can read here:
Voting is on now, but after looking at the other entries I don’t think my game is going to win any prizes. No matter, it was fun to enter and interesting to blog about the whole thing. I’m still making small changes to the game, and trying to decide if I should continue working on it, or wrap it up and move on.
The last time I participated in a game jam was a couple of decades ago. Yes, literally 20 years ago in 1995. When I saw the announcement of the MeatlyJam I was interested and I decided almost immediately that I was going to be part of it. It then took me 2 more days to commit to that decision and send in my registration. 🙂
The file of art assets was released before the game jam started, but I didn’t have any time to play around with it. I looked at it and tried to get an idea for a game, but nothing was coming to me. When the jam started on Friday morning I was at work, so I couldn’t start on it until later that night. Then when I did start, I knew I wasn’t going to have the full weekend to work on it, so I truly needed to keep it simple. I didn’t want this to happen:
I first started programming in 1983 (read about my programming history here). I don’t remember what I programmed on the Ti-99/4a, but I do remember one of my first programs on the VIC-20 was flying birds program, straight from the book that came with it:It wasn’t long after that when I started making games. Sadly, none of them have survived my various moves across the country, however my friends still remember playing the games that I made – they were pretty fun for the time.
The built-in terminal for Corona SDK is great for catching most errors, but some problems just don’t show up until you’re testing on a real device. Here are the steps needed to show the debug logs for Corona apps on Android devices (these instructions are for development on a Mac).
If you are developing mobile apps with Corona SDK that use volume controls, here’s a quick tip for implementing more natural feeling controls. Assuming that the control is a slider with values from 0 to 100, all it takes is one line of code:
volume = (math.pow(3,sliderValue/100)-1)/2
But since I really like seeing things work myself, I’ve built a very small demo project that you can download and run:
If you would like to read more on why this formula works or why it’s even needed, this page may be interesting for you: http://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/volumecontrols.html
I understand that many mobile developers are tired of hearing about Flappy Bird (including Dong Nguyen himself), but I’d like to confess to an emotion that I haven’t seen many others admitting publicly: envy.
I was excited about the arrival of Graphics 2.0 in Corona SDK, because it meant that I could improve the shadow and glow in my custom text module.
I have been watching struggling writers and struggling mobile app developers for a few years, and it seems to me that there is a lot in common between them.
Ever since my daughter decided that she wanted to develop an iPhone game, she’s been wracking her brain for ideas. Then after she comes up with an idea, there is a rapid-fire question and answer period with Dad (me). Here’s her idea for “Happy Cats”.